Thursday, July 09, 2009

July.....already

It seems like only yesterday I did my last post on figs. Since then we've survived a brutal heatwave with Levante winds, where the bare minimum got done, and filled up the freezers with apricots and plums. It was lovely to go to friends for dinner last night and get served a stupendous Crumble with the apricots I'd given them a few weeks back.

It's now the turn of green peppers, the bell and cylindrical type, aubergines and tomatoes. I've started harvesting, chopping and frying with garlic and onion for use later in cheese lasagnes and any other recipes I can find.

6 comments:

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi LadyLuz, here time runs away as well! You are well prepared with your freezer full of goodies for the later, colder season. We just finished the snow peas. The vegetable gardener has planted the wrong ones which grew into the sky
but were not very prolific. Swiss chard and broadbeans seem to be ok.! It is cold, rainy and windy not much incentive to do some gardening. When I make my round I see "tons of work" waiting...

Jan said...

So you freeze the peppers already fried up with the onion? That sounds like a good idea! Mind you, my pepper and chilli plants are still growing and maybe we won't get a good crop, but if we do...

LadyLuz said...

Hi Titania - I have the same experience here but for the opposite reason ....too darn hot.

Jan - yes, frying up the mixture using aubergines, courgettes, peppers, onions and tomatoes (preskinned) plus garlic and any herbs you fancy will work very well when frozen. I put mine in ziplock bags in multiples of 2 servings.

(Love the shoes in your pic, BTW)

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hola Pam,

It all sounds delicious preparing food from your own garden.

BTW the foxglove seeds are almost ripe so e-mail me your address so I can sent them to you. Would you like the purple or white or both?

LadyLuz said...

Yolanda. Just been to see the beautiful birthday girl on Bliss...all so cosy.

Ooo, foxglove seeds. Would love to have both colours. Will email you. Muchas gracias.
P.

Sue Swift said...

We too have had a hideous week of heat and humidity - which has changed today but only at the expense of dangerously torrential rain a bit further east. But here at least it's just cool and breezy.